EPIDOM - Evaluation of inter-annual to decennial predictability starting from observations and models
EPIDOM purpose is to estimate decennial predictability, its sources and its uncertainty level, starting from an inter-comparison exercise “Coupled Model Inter comparison Project” (CMIP5) realized for the next report of IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) whose publication is forecasted in 2013-2014.
The project gathers the entire community of French climatologist and experts of climate modeling.
Purposes of the project:
• To support French community in order to insure a serious and meaningful contribution to the decennial part of CMIP5
• To help establishing a coordination within the French research community linked to ECMW (European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts).
Concretely, it will be assessed:
• Decennial predictability, understanding the physical mechanisms at the source of predictability when existing, and estimating its spatial structure and uncertainty before embarking on more advanced applications;
• Downscaling protocols which remain valid on a decennial scale for the decades 2010-2030.
EPIDOM must be considered as an exploratory stage to prepare impact’s researches and studies in the usual sense of the words.
Christophe Cassou , CNRS
Centre Européen de Recherche et de Formation Avancée en Calcul Scientifique (Cerfacs)
Institut Pierre-Simon Laplace (IPSL)
Centre National de Recherche Météorologique – Météo-France (CNRM-MF)
Centre Européen de Prévision Météorologique à Moyenne Terme (CEPMMT)
Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, Délégation Paris B
Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, Délégation Midi-Pyrénées
- Future Climate, Regionalization, Dowscalling and Uncertainties