Group 1: Impacts
Coordinator : Professor Heinrich SPIECKER
Key issue and tasks
The issues will be discussed all through the Working Group meetings. The preliminary list of several key issues could be read below.
- Assessment of past impacts on trees, soil, biodiversity and the forest sector
- Ecosystem functioning: water, carbon and nutrient cycles, productivity, and resistance to drought as a part of the water cycle
- Ecosystem dynamics: phenology, length of the growing season, distribution of species, population genetics …
- Natural disturbance regime and hazards: insects, pests, droughts, floods, fires, fungi, storms…
Year 1: State of knowledge = one report / country
Year 2 & 3: Work on key issues
- Monitoring and analysis:
Models, analyses and scenarios allowing detection, evaluation and understanding of impacts at different spatial and temporal scales or patterns.
Contributions to the design of a future monitoring taking into account climate change. Criteria and indicators for the evaluation of climate change impacts.
- Impacts management:
Guidelines to detect/manage crises/opportunities; identification (nature, location) of risks; crisis and die-back management and communication.
Valuation methods of present/future losses/gains and losers/winners. Methods taking into account forest products and services, market and non market ones. Preference based approaches (multi-criteria analyses) and monetary valuation are two possible approaches.
Year 4: Guidelines and recommendations for managers ; identification of needs in the future researches and development projects.
Throughout the duration of the action: updating the national reports
List of members :
- Cyprus (Cyprus Forestry Department)
- Norway (Department of ecology and natural resource management, Norwegian University of Life Sciences)
- Slovenia (University of Ljubljana Department of Forestry and Renewable Forest Resources)
- Slovak Republic (National Forest Centre – Forest research Institute in Zvolen)
- Spain (Universidad de Oviedo)
- Belgium (University of Antwerp, Research Group of Plant and Vegetation Ecology)
- Poland (Forest Research Institute)
- Serbia (Institute of Lowland Forestry and Environment)
- France (Ecofor)
- Estonia (Estonian University of Life Sciences)
- Italy (CNR-ISAFOM)
- Greece (Forest Research Institute, National Agricultural Research Foundation)
- United Kingdom (Centre for Human & Ecological Sciences)
- Switzerland (WSL)
- Ireland (University College Dublin UCD School of Biology and Environmental Science)
- Danemark (Univ. of Copenhagen)
- Germany (Institute for Forest Growth University Freiburg)
- Lithuania (Lithuanian Forest Research Institute)
- Finland (Finnish Forest Research Institute, Suonenjoki Unit)
- Belgium (Laboratory of forest research and engineering, Université catholique de Louvain)
- Croatia (Forest Research Institute)
- Czech Republic (Institute of Systems Biology and Ecology, ASCR, v.v.i.)
- EFI (European Forest Institute)
- Finland (Finnish Forest Research Institute)
More about Action COST Echoes : http://www.gip-ecofor.org/cost-echoes-climate-change/